Cleaning Exterior Paintwork
Like washing your car, cleaning your house will help it maintain its good looks for much longer.
Airborne contaminants, including salt deposits, which settle on your paint film, can attack the surface and cause premature breakdown. Annual washing of your home will help maintain the fresh appearance of your paintwork.
Moss and lichen can penetrate the surface of the paint film, damaging its integrity and reducing the useful life of the film, while mould growth can destroy the chemical entity of the resin system that holds the paint system together.
The presence of moss, mould and lichen will hold moisture on the surface longer, promoting further growth of these organisms and increasing the risk of damage to the coating. Removal using the appropriate washing procedure will increase the life of the coating and maintain the aesthetic properties of the paint finish.
Moss and mould will grow through the paint surface and if left untreated will ruin the fresh appearance of the paintwork. If major moss and mould infestations appear, treat them with Resene Moss & Mould Killer, diluted as directed with water.
Wash off with copious amounts of freshwater. Bleach is a very effective moss and mould killer however, residues can decolourise subsequently applied paint finishes, particularly when used over a porous surface. If you are repainting, ensure all bleach treated surfaces are allowed to weather and/or are thoroughly rinsed prior to repainting.
If you are planning to wash down a freshly painted house or building, wait at least four weeks from the completion of the painting job to give the paint time to fully cure. If debris is being carried onto the building during painting, cease work and restart when the air is clear.
Debris carried onto a wet building may be trapped into the paint film and will be impossible to remove later without removing the paint finish itself.
All information sourced from www.resene.co.nz