By Lydia Truesdale
According to Statistics New Zealand’s Time Use Survey (2009/10), New Zealander’s spend more than four hours inside everyday between housework and relaxing. And let’s be honest; most of that time is probably spent moving haphazardly from one room or task to the next.
But thanks to the World Wide Web there’s a plethora of life hacks at the ready – from improving the ergonomic flow and Feng Shui of the home to DIY tricks to stylise your abode – to make indoor living that little bit better.
- Add a shelf to deep storage spots for easier access to and better display of items.
- Glue a magnetic strip to the back of your bathroom cabinet door to keep all the essentials handy.
- Pop a head torch around a water bottle for ultimate light projection in case of a power outage.
- Twist a rubber band around the door handle and latch for easy access bringing in the groceries or preventing kids locking themselves in.
- Use a hanging shoe rack to store your cleaning products neatly.
- Feel like adding a bit of greenery to the home? Insert toothpicks into the sides of an avocado seed and sit over a glass of water to grow your own avocado tree.
- Hang a bunch of lavender from your showerhead for a beautifully aromatic shower and start to the day.
- Have some old doorknobs lying around? Repurpose them as towel hooks in the bathroom.
- Reuse old draws and shelves as cool new wall storage or decorative displays.